Pages

10.04.2013

everything is wrinkly


Oh hi. Yep, I’m still alive.

I still haven’t unpacked all of my clothes from Alaska yet, and it’s been almost two months. I still pick out my outfit for the day from a heap of clothing in the corner of our closet. My pile is right next to where we also throw our dirty clothes, which eventually get washed and put in slightly neater piles next to other piles. Sometimes Garrett picks out a shirt from one pile, thinking it was the clean one, only to realize it was simply between piles and was in fact dirty. Luckily, he doesn’t care.

There are also piles of things in the kitchen. There’s a pile of important papers that seems to multiply but never moves. There’s a pile of Garrett’s physical therapy workouts for his knee because of his accident last month at work. There’s also a pile of dirty hand towels that have yet to migrate to the laundry room pile. Sometimes there’s a pile of Remy’s toys in the living room until she disperses them throughout the house, mixing into other piles.

You’re a pile.

Basically I am at a standstill. I have time to do dishes, to do laundry, to vacuum, to take the garbage to the garbage can, to make the kitchen tidy, to sweep, to unpack my clothes, to make our house cute. I have that time right now. I had that time from the second I got home from work at 4:30. Now it’s almost 6:00 and I can’t get myself to give a crap.

Part of me hates living in in-between land. How everything is just temporarily stuck somewhere because out of sight, out of mind, right? How piles grow roots overnight. How boxes serve as furniture and places to set piles.

But on the other hand, what is the point of making everything neat and pretty? I mean, we have to be out of this place in less than a year. I’m really the only one who cares if the throw pillows go with our non-existent curtains or if the dinner plates match.

This is all sounding really whiny.

Luckily our house is already awesome and doesn’t need much fussing. My first two-level dwelling since I moved out of my parents’ house! There are huge windows, which are a gigantic step up from our Alaska place (which had four windows the size of a microwave). We don’t have much of a yard but there’s a park down the block for Remy to frolic in. I can see the sunrise from bed every morning and the showerhead is tall enough! We have “hard wood floors”, a dishwasher, and it takes seven minutes to get to campus.

Remy is growing like crazy now that she’s hit the three-month mark. She already lost four of her puppy teeth and her coat is changing texture. Her eyes are still blue and snow is now her favorite thing on the planet. Right now she’s lying by the front door, waiting for Garrett to get home even though he’s out of town. I guess I know who the favorite is ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting!